Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

Just the very title of this book made me want to hold it and peek into the endless possiblities of what could make me happy!



I came across this book one day work while I was processing holds. I read the inside flap and thought, "I might like this". I put it on hold for myself (I was 150 or something on the wait list) and forgot about it. Later on, I came across it again when I was reading The Reader.

It finally came in for me and I was thrilled. I really needed to find out what could make me happy (it was a long week!) I dove into it with anticipation and even prepared myself with paper and pen for ample note taking. Rubin did stuff her happiness project with goals and changes that no normal person could achieve. She is a mother of two, married, and works as a writer from home - I figured I could achieve some of them too!

It was a great book all in all, I however, had some difficulity in the last few chapters. I struggled to finish it and I have no idea why. I think Rubin's writing style may have shifted a little more to the research she done to complete her happiness project, and less on her actual everyday life.

So, did I find out how to me more happy? Yes and no. Rubin's tactics to keep her more positive in her attitude and actions helped; as did her remedies to be more sentistive, healthly, and loving. However, if one was to do every little thing that Rubin did in a year....well, let me know!

Some of the things that I ended up jotting down about the book included:
The Four Stages of Happiness (108)
1. Anticipate it
2. Savor it
3. Express happiness
4. Recall a happy memory

Her take on 'blank books' (120) - your average blank journal
'Interest log' (128) - love this one, probably could fill out an entil blank book with all my interests!
'Happiness box'(132) - this one I love too. I am actually in the process of gathering a few things to make a happiness box for a friend.
And finally, Rubin is a BIG library supporter, and thus, wins in my eyes regardless of the struggles I had to finish her book.

So, have you read The Happiness Project, and if so, what were your thoughts on it? What are some of your techniques to keep happy?

1 comment:

  1. Any book that encourages us to explore what really makes us happy is well worth reading. I will put this on my never-ending hold list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete